Which is better suited for my application, iWitness or iWitnessPRO?
With the release of iWitnessPRO, many are asking which photogrammetry software system (iWitness, ior WitnessPRO) is better suited for their image-based measurement needs. We've put together the below chart to highlight the differences.
iWitnessPRO provides all of the functionality of iWitness. iWitnessPRO is the only close-range photogrammetry software system available that permits automatic measurement of Passive Red or Red-Retro Reflective targets in color imagery. It retains the traditional operator-assisted natural feature marking of points, lines, polylines and photo texturing found in iWitness.
Consider the example of modeling a crushed vehicle (front/back, and both sides) with traditional operator-assisted network orientation (e.g., iWitness) which takes a few hours to complete. Using iWitnessPRO, network orientation is completed automatically in a matter of minutes, to an accuracy typically within .02" (.5mm) RMS.
iWitnessPRO permits targeting of features with specialized (industry first) signalized targets that calculate a 3D object point to a target "tip".
Here's some thought that should help you in your decision with purchasing iWitness Vs iWitnesPRO.
1. If the bulk of your projects will not allow you to apply iWitnessPRO red retro targets, you're best served with using iWitness. You can always upgrade to iWitnessPRO in the future if you desire, so keep that in mind.
2. Is sub-millimeter accuracy required or desirable in your project?: Yes=iWitnessPRO, No=*iWitness.
3. Do you feel in some (or possibly many?) of your projects that you anticipate that fully automatic measurement is key to a compressed work flow and your time constraints? Yes=iWitnessPRO, No=iWitness.
4. Are the bulk of your projects outdoors, where measurements over tens of meters are required? Yes=iWitness, No=iWitnessPRO
5. Does the user action of "pushing one button" appeal to you, with the photogrammetric 3D model automatically created?: Yes=iWitnessPRO, No=iWitness.
6. Are you limited to using an "entry level" camera for the photogrammetry imaging?: Yes=iWitness, No iWitnessPRO. Note: for iWitnessPRO we recommend a moderately priced digital SLR camera, circa $450.00 or more.
7. Do you plan on using one of these two systems for interior measurement and expect a high degree of measurement automation and accuracy (e.g., a homicide investigation, complete vehicle crush modeling, granite countertop reverse-engineering, custom wood fabrication, canvas boat cover fabrication, or complex surface modeling)?: Yes:=iWtnessPRO, No=iWitness.
If you own a digital SLR camera, and some of the questions above favor the "automatic measurement" then iWitnessPRO is your best solution.
*iWitness is capable of producing sub-millimeter accuracy, while iWitnessPRO was specifically designed for high precision fully-automatic 3D measurememt.
© 2009 DeChant Consulting Services - DCS Inc. All rights reserved.